- What is continuous tense with examples?
- Can we use when before past continuous?
- What is the formula of past perfect continuous tense?
- How do you use past simple and past continuous?
- What is the rule of past continuous tense?
- Can we use when with past continuous?
- What is the difference between past continuous and past simple?
- What is another name for a continuous tense?
- How do you use past perfect continuous in a sentence?
- When past perfect continuous tense is used?
- What is past perfect example?
- What is future continuous tense with examples?
- How do you change a sentence into past continuous?
- What is past perfect continuous tense with examples?
- What are tenses give examples?
- What can I say instead of while?
What is continuous tense with examples?
The continuous tense shows an action that is, was, or will be in progress at a certain time.
The continuous tense is formed with the verb ‘be’ + -ing form of the verb.
The Future continuous is used to show that an action will be happening at a time in the future.
I will be having dinner at my parents’ house tomorrow..
Can we use when before past continuous?
If I say “I was sleeping when he called,” then I have to use when because it comes before a single action. But if the word comes before the continuous actions and we have a one time and a continuous, then I can use either one, he called while I was sleeping or he called when I was sleeping.
What is the formula of past perfect continuous tense?
The past perfect continuous is composed of two elements – the past perfect of the verb to be (=had been) + the present participle (base+ing).
How do you use past simple and past continuous?
When we use these two tenses together, it shows us that the past simple action happened in the middle of the past continuous action, while it was in progress. While I was studying, I suddenly felt sleepy. We often use these tenses to show an action interrupting another action.
What is the rule of past continuous tense?
The past continuous of any verb is composed of two parts : the past tense of the verb “to be” (was/were), and the base of the main verb +ing….Forming the past continuous.Subject+was/were+base + ingAffirmativeShewasreadingNegativeShewasn’treading5 more rows
Can we use when with past continuous?
We often use them with the past continuous to refer to background events: When the men were out working in the field, I helped with milking the cows, feeding the calves and the pigs. While he was working, he often listened to music.
What is the difference between past continuous and past simple?
The past simple describes actions that happened in a specific moment in the past. On the other hand, the past continuous describes actions that were in progress in the past.
What is another name for a continuous tense?
The present continuous, also called the present progressive, is a verb form used in modern English that combines the present tense with the continuous aspect.
How do you use past perfect continuous in a sentence?
Past Perfect Continuous TenseHe had been drinking milk out the carton when Mom walked into the kitchen.I had been working at the company for five years when I got the promotion.Martha had been walking three miles a day before she broke her leg.The program that was terminated had been working well since 1945.More items…
When past perfect continuous tense is used?
The past perfect continuous (also called past perfect progressive) is a verb tense which is used to show that an action started in the past and continued up to another point in the past.
What is past perfect example?
Some examples of the past perfect tense can be seen in the following sentences: Had met: She had met him before the party. Had left: The plane had left by the time I got to the airport. Had written: I had written the email before he apologized.
What is future continuous tense with examples?
For example, let’s suppose you have a meeting tomorrow at five o’clock. I will arrive at five o’clock. I will arrive is the simple future tense of the verb to arrive. … The will + be + present participle construction always indicates the future continuous tense.
How do you change a sentence into past continuous?
We make the present continuous tense form by putting is, am or are before the –ing form of the verb. We make the past continuous tense form by putting was or were before the –ing form of the verb.
What is past perfect continuous tense with examples?
He had been reading different kinds of books since morning. They had been playing football in that field before it started to rain. Jane had been gossiping in the coffee shop for two hours. Jeff had been studying in the library before he came to the class.
What are tenses give examples?
4. Types of TensesVerb TenseExample 1Example 2Present ContinuousSally is walking homeSally is reading a bookPresent PerfectSally has walked homeSally has read the bookPresent Perfect ContinuousSally has been walking homeSally has been reading the bookSimple FutureSally will walk homeSally will read the book8 more rows•Nov 18, 2018
What can I say instead of while?
What is another word for while?althoughthoughwhereasbutregardlessneverthelessnotwithstandingyetstillin spite of the fact that21 more rows